Monday, May 26, 2008

A day to celebrate!


Memorial Day: Memorial Day is a United States Federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (in 2008 on May 26). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War, it was expanded after World War I to include casualties of any war or military action.

Memorial Day used to be a day that I would say a quick prayer for peace and give thanks, well today marks a new meaning for me....

I have told you before, my son (19) joined the Navy... well it is hitting home today. I actually am feeling the heart ache that all these other mothers must be feeling with their child being gone to serve for our great county. It's so real to me now.

I have a lot to be proud of today, Ricky called yesterday to tell me he is volunteering today at a ceremony. Wow, I was thinking, is that you Ricky? LOL I am so very proud of you son, more than you ever will know!

So if you are reading this, you watch Ebay on Tuesday... my set is in honor of you and all your brothers and sisters standing up and protecting our nation!!! Kylie will be waving hello and sending you all her love!

We love you Ricky...
Mom and Kylie

2 comments:

janae said...

Oh, I can't imagine how that would hit home having your son serve. Give him a big hug and thank him for us. I really admire those that fight for our freedom. It's something I think about often.

Holly Stocke said...

You must be proud and heartbroken at the same time. I hope it's all an enriching experience for him.